Honda-Man
Honda-Man, Honda Mechanic
Experience:  I have an Associates Degree in Automotive. 10 Years experience on all makes and models. 20 Years Honda only including factory training. Over 30 years total.
75670266

I have a 2003 Honda Civic Hybrid with an error code P1602

Customer Question

I have a 2003 Honda Civic Hybrid with an error code P1602 IMA Sys Malfunction. What does this mean?
Category: Honda
Expert:  Honda-Man replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to JustAnswer.

Are you sure the code is P1602? I am pretty sure that may be a code from a non Honda scan tool indicating a bad IMA battery module. Can you recheck the code?

Thanks, Honda-Man

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was told by the transmission guy who checked it today. He wrote it down. It could be 1600
Expert:  Honda-Man replied 1 year ago.

Sorry for the delay.

P1600 is a good code that is actually stored in the engine control unit not the IMA control unit. It just tells the technician they need to look in the IMA system for the actual diagnostic trouble code information. It usually indicates it's time for a new IMA battery module but without the code it is impossible to be sure. If you can find someone to read the IMA system code(s) instead of the engine codes I can tell you exactly what it all means. Sorry to be so non specific but without the code it's just a guess.

Your satisfaction and a positive rating is what I work for! If you can't rate in a positive way please let me know so I can continue to help. Please click on accept or the rating scale. This is important and the only way the site will compensate me for my time. I will continue to help after the rating so don't worry you can still come back until you have the advice and answer you need!

Thanks again! ~Honda-Man

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
if it does need a battery replacement, how much should that cost and can I get a cheaper one somewhere else? Is the Honda dealership the only place I can do this? I have been price-gouged for repairs at dealerships and don't really trust going there for information or repairs.
Expert:  Honda-Man replied 1 year ago.

Any repair facility that has the training and knowledge should be OK. It's not an especially difficult repair but does require updating the IMA control unit software to improve the new battery life. Approximate cost for the battery(aftermarket) is $1400 labor is approx $200. A Honda battery is approx $2667 without labor.

Thank you again, Honda-man