Jared D
Jared D, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Shop Supervisor at County Fleet
62275574

My 2011 Honda crv cruise control has been working

Customer Question

my 2011 Honda crv cruise control has been working intermittently and getting worse. Along with that my engine light and traction control light came on. Had it read at a local place and it said Cam shaft sensor. Any advice
Category: Honda
Expert:  Jared D replied 1 year ago.

If the vehicle senses a fault in any of the engine control systems it will disable the cruise control. Most likely there is no problem at all with the cruise control system or the traction control, rather they are just being turned off by the computer because of the fault that is triggering the check engine light.

Do you know which code was pulled from the computer?

I can give you diagrams on how to replace the cam sensor if in fact that was the cause of the check engine light.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Being a novice and not very mechanically handy is this something I can do. I live a couple hours from the nearest Honda dealer and would rather not have to make an appointment if I or someone local can take care of it. I don't know the code other that it said cam sensor. Thoughts?
Expert:  Jared D replied 1 year ago.

I think you could. Let me send a diagram that shows how to replace it. You can find inexpensive cam sensors on Amazon.

Expert:  Jared D replied 1 year ago.

You have two cam sensors on this vehicle. You will need to know which sensor is at fault based on the code.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok. I will have to go to the mechanic that checked the code so I can go to the next step.
Expert:  Jared D replied 1 year ago.

Sounds good. Let me know if you need additional information.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I took it in to get the code read and it is a cam shaft sensor A P0341
Expert:  Jared D replied 1 year ago.

Cam sensor A is the first diagram I sent, the intake cam sensor.

Expert:  Jared D replied 1 year ago.

With that trouble code, the more likely cause is the VCT solenoid being restricted with oil sludge and needing replacement. How often is the oil changed, and with what viscosity of oil?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Oil change is every 5-8000 miles. Not sure the viscosity but I believe it to be a high end. So I shouldn't order the cam sensor? Looking on line there were a number of them and I am not sure exactly which ones.
Expert:  Jared D replied 1 year ago.

It wouldn't hurt to change it, but that code could even indicate a timing chain issue. Let me show you the Honda fault tree on P0341.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is starting to look like Greek to me.If it is a timing chain issue how would I verify that?
Expert:  Jared D replied 1 year ago.

You would have to pull the front timing cover off and check the timing marks to make sure they are aligned.

I would suggest replacing the VCT solenoid first. You should be able to do it yourself. We see them go bad all of the time.

If that doesn't fix it, then I would start looking at the timing chain.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Should I still order a cam sensor. Do you have a picture of one that I can use to match with what is on amazon?
Expert:  Jared D replied 1 year ago.

The honda part number is :15830RBB003

Here is the honda diagram.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is that the solenoid part or the sensor?
Expert:  Jared D replied 1 year ago.

That is the VCT solenoid.

Expert:  Jared D replied 1 year ago.

Please don't forget to rate. They don't pay us if we don't get a positive rating.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am setting up an appointment with the Honda Dealer as I can't see replacing the sensor or vct solenoid on my own. Especially after trying to locate this part with a local mechanic.
Expert:  Jared D replied 1 year ago.

Yeah, the 2010 and up hondas started getting more and more complicated and DIY mechanic-ing is becoming tougher.

Let me know if you need any help in the future

Expert:  Jared D replied 1 year ago.