Honda-Man
Honda-Man, Honda Mechanic
Experience:  I have an Associates Degree in Automotive. 10 Years experience on all makes and models. 20 Years Honda only including factory training. Over 30 years total.
75670266

My 2003 Honda Accord V-6 is stuck in Park position, ignition

Customer Question

My 2003 Honda Accord V-6 is stuck in Park position, ignition turns on but will not move from Park. Also I noticed recently the key is hot to the touch at removal. My Battery needed a jump Sat. Took it to the dealer yesterday for Express Service and they said battery was OK but I got a new battery anyway. Today, the car is locked in the Park position. All within a few days. What is the likely cause and fix? Is any of this covered by a recall?
Category: Honda
Expert:  Honda-Man replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to JustAnswer.

There is a safety recall for the key interlock but it is not for your problem. The recall corrects a problem where the key can be removed with the shift lever out of park. You can enter your VIN HERE to see if this recall has been done. It sounds like your key interlock solenoid is stuck on since the key is warm and the battery is going dead. There is a specific test to confirm if this is the cause of your problem. To know for sure the ignition key interlock system needs to be properly diagnosed.

Thank you for giving me the opportunity to assist you. Your satisfaction and accepting my service is what I work for! If you can't rate in a positive way please let me know so I can continue to help. I will continue to help after the rating until you have the advice and answer you need!

Thanks again! ~Honda-Man