Clayso
Clayso, Master Automobile Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certified Automobile Technician. 30 Years Experience.
77147243

I'm trying to replace the timing belt and water pump on a

Customer Question

I'm trying to replace the timing belt and water pump on a 2004 Honda Odyssey. Some how the tensioner came off loose and the marks on the overhead cams don't line up. Can somebody help me how to resolve this problem
Submitted: 1 year ago via Mitchell1DIY.
Category: Honda
Expert:  Clayso replied 1 year ago.

Hi There, I'm Clay a certified master automobile technician with 30 years of automotive repair and diagnostic experience.

The cams will turn when the belt tension is removed, you can turn them back into position and line up the marks. The engines valve springs close some valves and turn the cams. If the crank is aligned to its mark the number 1 and 4 pistons are at the top of their travel. The link below is the service procedure for the timing belt.

Timing Belt Service and Repair

I hope this information is helpful. If you have any questions or comments let me know.

Kindly rate my assistance in a positive manner so I may have credit for helping you.
Positive ratings are greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm still not quite sure. Since the timing belt came off or jumped some teeth, I want to be absolutely clear before I move forward. My understanding is that for every two revolution of the crankshaft the came moves 360 degree (both the front and the rear cams). As it stands moved the front cam where cylinder1 is aligned with the mark. On the rear cam moved the cam so the marks on the cam and the rear lineup. My question now is that if the crankshaft was moved 360 degree would that not damage the engine. How do I know whether the crankshaft is in the right place and not off by 360 degree.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm still not quite sure. Since the timing belt came off or jumped some teeth, I want to be absolutely clear before I move forward. My understanding is that for every two revolution of the crankshaft the cam moves 360 degree (both the front and the rear cams when connected with the belt). The belt is no longer connected. As it stands moved the front cam where cylinder1 is aligned with the mark. On the rear cam moved the cam so the marks on the cam and the rear lineup. My question now is that if the crankshaft was moved 360 degree would that not damage the engine. How do I know whether the crankshaft is in the right place and not off by 360 degree.
Expert:  Clayso replied 1 year ago.

Did the timing belt come off with the engine running?

The crank turns twice for every one turn of the cams. When the crank is lined up to the mark the #1 and #4 pistons are at the top. When the crank is turned 360° the ***** *****nes back up and the #1 and #4 pistons are at the top again.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Let me put it this way:
If I gave you a Honda Odyssey 6 cylinder engine where the Front and The Rear Cam were not lined (No belt connected) up and the Crankshaft was not lined up either. How would you approach this problem to resolve it.
Expert:  Clayso replied 1 year ago.

I would set the crank off of the mark by about 10° before top dead center and set the cams to their marks, then line up the crank.

If the engine was not running when the cams or crank turned there very little chance of valve damage unless the engine was forcibly turned.

If the engine was running when the belt came off you would have to remove the cams so all of the valves would be closed to be able to check compression or use a bore scope to look at the valves and the tops of the pistons for any damage.