MASTER TECH
MASTER TECH, Honda Service Technician
Experience:  28 years of Honda training and a master Honda tech
10834442

I have a 2001 Honda civic with 1.7 vtec engine. motor was

Customer Question

I have a 2001 Honda civic with 1.7 vtec engine . motor was bad so got a used motor out of a 2005 Honda civic with a 1.7 vtec engine . 2001 had the oil pressure switch and solenoid set up on side of head and 2005 motor did not engine went in fine but now ecu is looking for the vtec system that the 01 had and the 05 doesn't so now I have a p1259 code that wont go away but motor is running fine. Do I need the ecu out of the 05 to make it work? how do I get light off and what makes vtec function on 05 if it doesn't have mechanism on side of head
Category: Honda
Expert:  MASTER TECH replied 1 year ago.

Hello welcome to just answer I am master tech.

do you have the original harness off the 05 motor and the ecu ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no harness but am picking up ecu Saturday from car motor came out off. 01 harness was exact up to the lines going to vtec system but as I kept resurching 05 is not a vtec even though its marked all over it that it is. im hoping to just swap out ecus and I will be okay. have compaired backs and they have same plugs only thing that looks different is the vtec pins are not in the 05 I think b9 and b15 guessing numbers at moment but have rote down in car. does this sound like the way to go to you? car runs well with motor in just when going up hill or kicking into passing gear code trips and light comes on. can drive on straight away all day long no code just when getting into it alittle. doesn't run any different just light comes on and that will not do for inspection thanks for responce

sounds like it's a wiring issue.

we have a guy at work that put a vtec motor in a late model civic and his has vtec and his had egr so their is a lot of configurations

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
all wiring as far as conecters are the same 05 motor doesn't have vtec set up wich points to being a none vtec runs great . no issue but light on am trying ecu out of 05 car tomarrow. all pins and plug ins line up. all codes and monitors are good just need cat. and evap to run and that is set so hoping with 05 ecu it wont be looking for vtec system so the p1259 code will not exist. if anyone can think of snag I may run into let me know. just need to get the ecu from 01 not to look for vtec or 05 to work in the 01 car

im hoping it will work also.

but you are using a newer motor with new systems so kinda un charter waters here

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
CAN you reprogram a 01 ecu that was programed to operate a v-tec engine to function with a 05 non v-tec engine? have a 01 Honda civic that had a v-tec engine in it and I bought a 05 low mile non v-tec motor. motor does not have v-tec and ecu is looking for it so throws a code p1259 ( v-tec system failure ) it sputters when you get into it going up hill or passing gear so when it doesn't read v-tec system it effects fuel flow. how do I get the car not to look for vtec and is there a 01 non vtec computer out there that can be purchased?

the ecu is pre programmed and in order to do this you will need to contact a source like Hondata.

https://www.hondata.com/index.php?route=common/home