Honda-Man
Honda-Man, Honda Mechanic
Experience:  I have an Associates Degree in Automotive. 10 Years experience on all makes and models. 20 Years Honda only including factory training. Over 30 years total.
75670266

I am looking at buying a 2001 Honda CRV with 170k miles. It

Customer Question

I am looking at buying a 2001 Honda CRV with 170k miles. It looks and seems to run good. I called both of the last 2 owners and both said good things... except the most recent owner said they had a few thousand dollars in engine work done due to a valve issue. She said after the work was peformed the check engine light was still on and the dealership couldn't figure out why. They got frustrated with it and got rid of the car. All prior service dealership service records appear to look good (oil changes, tranny flushes, etc). Right now the check engine light IS NOT on and it seems to run, drive and shift fine. My question is, is it possible for a someone to dismantle the check engine light? I am looking on a little mom and pop type lot.
Category: Honda
Expert:  Honda-Man replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to JustAnswer. Thanks for taking time to ask your Honda question.

The yellow check engine light should come on when you first turn on the ignition switch. This is a bulb check and a good indication if the engine computer has any codes. If the light does not come on at all they might have removed the bulb. If it comes on for approx 2-3 seconds then goes off there are no permanent codes. I would take it to a local auto parts store and ask them to scan it for codes. They will do this as a free service. Even if the check engine light seems to work OK there may be a temporary code. If you find a code just come back and let me know what it is? The question stays open for one week after you rate my service today.

Please take a moment to rate my service so I can get credit for my time, the question remains open for follow up even after doing so, all you need to do is return to this question if need be.

Thank you, Honda-Man