Fixitman
Fixitman, Technician /Advisor
Experience:  ASE Master Certified, AA Auto/Diesel Technology,
1627031

I have 2001 accord v6 with burned ignition coil on cyl #3. i

Customer Question

I have 2001 accord v6 with burned ignition coil on cyl #3 . i just replaced all 6 denso OEM spark plug and 6 new ignition coil. After the first run I see the ignition coil on #3 is very hot. Any idea??
Category: Honda
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have 2001 accord v6 with burned ignition coil on cyl #3. I have done the followings:
- Replaced all 6 new Denso spark plugs
- Replaced all 6 new ignition coils
- Replaced the new connector on Cyl #3 due to the old connector has faulty pin #2
- Examined the blue harness connector C 31P at PCM - all wires look good
- Tested good ground connection on all pin 2 of all connectors to ignition coils
- There is battery voltage on pin #3 of all connectors to ignition coils
- Tested there is continuity between pin #1 of the connector #3 to the the pin #3 of the blue harness connector C 31P at PCM
After a few minutes running the car the ignition coil #3 becomes very hot.
Question: Should I buy the new PCM? Any suggestion ???
Expert:  Fixitman replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is***** for the question. I would not just replace the PCM. Can you tell me what brand coils you are using?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I bought from ebay : http://www.ebay.com/itm/261962143430?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT. I believe the new ignition coils are good
I have been used them with my other accord. Besides this is the second time I replaced the ignition coil at cylinder #3. I noticed when i measured the voltage at pin #1 around ~ 5-6 volt when i turned on the engine. It should be at very low voltage. the PCM provided this signal voltage why it's so high
Dennis
Expert:  Fixitman replied 1 year ago.

Let me take a look at these and I will get back with you shortly.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Besides I have switched ignition coils around to confirm that the ignition coil #3 always get hot
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When i measured the pin #1 of connectors of other cylinders have very low voltage - only pin #1 of the connector at cyl #3 has 5-6 volt
Expert:  Fixitman replied 1 year ago.

Thanks. Those should be fine. Have you checked to see if the power to that coil goes off when the ignition is turned off?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it is off -0volt when the key turned off
Expert:  Fixitman replied 1 year ago.

Thanks. Did you measure the signal wire at the PCM to see if it was high there also? If it is then it needs a PCM. If not then you need to find the short.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
how can I measure the signal wire at PCM without removing the harness ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
what voltage i should expect at the PCM?
Expert:  Fixitman replied 1 year ago.

Is that the white/blue wire that shows 5-6 volts? If it is then you need to test the same wire at the PCM with it plugged in. If you show the same voltage there then the computer is bad.