Honda-Man
Honda-Man, Honda Mechanic
Experience:  I have an Associates Degree in Automotive. 10 Years experience on all makes and models. 20 Years Honda only including factory training. Over 30 years total.
75670266

Pass. side turn signal lights up with park lights, will not

Customer Question

pass. side turn signal lights up with park lights, will not flash with park lights on ,park lights off right signal on everything on right flashes all park lights
Category: Honda
Expert:  Honda-Man replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to JustAnswer my name is***** will be helping with your Honda question.

Is this in the front or rear of your Accord? EX, LX, or DX?

Thank You, Honda-Man

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it is in the rear now, started out as wires cut in front shorting and blowing fuses,,, 96 accord ex
Expert:  Honda-Man replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for the reply and information. Please give me a moment to look over my repair information. I will be back with you shortly.

Expert:  Honda-Man replied 1 year ago.

It's possible the shorting damaged the wiring for the back lights. I would start by making sure the bulb sockets are clean and not corroded. There is a central ground point(G551) for the rear tail, marker, and turn signal lights that can be loose or corroded. Poor grounds will cause strange problems like you are experiencing. I have included a picture with the location of the ground for the rear lights. From each bulb socket the black ground wire goes to this spot. If you have an ohmmeter you can remove the bulbs and check continuity of each bulb ground wire. Make sure the bulbs with 2 elements(3 wires) are installed correctly in the sockets. I have seen them in wrong and causing problems like you have. They are meant to go in only one way but it's possible to install them incorrectly. If you remove one bulb at a time then check the lights you will probably find the one that's causing the problem.

If you have any other questions feel free to ask, I know this kind of problem can be frustrating and difficult to find.

Please take a moment to rate my service so I can get credit for my time, the question remains open for follow up even after doing so, all you need to do is return to this question if need be.

Thank you, Honda-Man

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
checked that ground and also front ground front and rear turn signal bulbs light up with park lights on as well as the direction indicator,also repaired ground from battery to body and checked bulbs
Expert:  Honda-Man replied 1 year ago.

Is the problem only in the rear?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
seems to be entire right side
Expert:  Honda-Man replied 1 year ago.

Sorry should have read your description better. Where was the wiring cut? It now sounds like there is a short between the turn signals and park light positive side.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
wiring was cut in the front in front of pass. side front tire
Expert:  Honda-Man replied 1 year ago.

The parking light power wire is red/black the right side turn signal power wire is green/yellow. They must be shorted somewhere up in that area?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
can find no shorts but still right signal makes all exterior bulbs flash. any more ideas?
Expert:  Honda-Man replied 1 year ago.

Might be a problem with the switch? Unplug it and see if there are any melted spots. Not too sure what else to recommend? Obviously there is a short somewhere, might be inside of a harness or the switch.

Thanks, Honda-Man