Pete, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing automobiles various makes and models with some training and certifications.
14928985

I love my Honda Element. 118,000 miles and runs very well.

Customer Question

HI,
I love my Honda Element. 118,000 miles and runs very well. Lately it will occasionally not start. 2 month old battery. It's turning over - sounds like it's ready to start any second. Each time it's happened, I've gone back to try again 30 min or more later, and it starts. It starts cold in my driveway.
Category: Honda
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help with this today.I apologize for any delay.

One very common component I have seen act up like this here is the fuel pump itself.It becomes weak over time and creates low fuel pressure.In some cases turning on and off the key waiting around 8 seconds in between turn on and turn off will prime the fuel pressure enough to then allow the engine to start or when you crank it when it doesn't start then come back out and crank it again this may allow enough fuel pressure to allow the engine to start as well.

If you have not had the fuel pressure tested this needs done.Your fuel pressure needs to be between 48 and 55 psi.If any lower then 48 psi this usually indicates the fuel pump is weak needing replaced.The engine may run fine with lower pressure but it takes max pressure to start the engine and with a weak fuel pump you won't get the pressure you need for starting.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.Thanks Pete.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Pete, We will check that tomorrow. What about the starter? Can it be a problem even though it sounds fine?
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

If the engine is turning over fine with the key when you try and start it this usually indicates the battery and starter are both o.k.If the starter is not engaging at all though or very slow to turn over this can indicate the starter is either faulty or drawing to many amps and needs replaced.

Thanks Pete