Honda-Man
Honda-Man, Honda Mechanic
Experience:  I have an Associates Degree in Automotive. 10 Years experience on all makes and models. 20 Years Honda only including factory training. Over 30 years total.
75670266

1998 Honda Accord will shake and stall out if I accelerate.

Customer Question

1998 Honda Accord will shake and stall out if I accelerate . If I keep my foot ever so light on the gas pedal, I can slowly accelerate up to 45 mph, if I hit gas pedal too hard car will bogg & stall. I tried installing new fuel pump but that didn't work. Same thing still happening . Any ideas?
Category: Honda
Expert:  Honda-Man replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to JustAnswer my name is***** will be helping with your Honda question.

Is your Accord a V6 or 4Cyl? EX, LX, DX?

Thank You, Honda-Man

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
V-6 don't know if ex lx dx
Expert:  Honda-Man replied 1 year ago.

Thanks, ***** ***** Accords are the EX. A few are the LX model. If it has a sunroof it's an EX. Your problem sounds like a lack of adequate spark. When spark is weak it's noticeable when the engine is under a load. That's why when you go easy on the throttle is runs better. I would start with the cap, rotor, and spark plugs. The rotor itself is a fairly common problem as well as the distributor cap center contact where it contacts the rotor. The plug wires can cause problems too but usually on just one cylinder. The coil can also cause this problem but because it's an external coil it's less likely.

Please take a moment to rate my service so I can get credit for my time, the question remains open for follow up even after doing so, all you need to do is return to this question if need be.

Thank you, Honda-Man

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is a 4 cylinder VTEC
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
With a factory sunroof
Expert:  Honda-Man replied 1 year ago.

OK, my advice still stands. The VTEC is used in the EX models. The only difference is the coil is inside of the distributor housing. On the 4cyl engine worn out spark plugs can cause the coil and rotor to fail. The extra demand from spark caused by the bad plugs damages the coil and rotor.

Thank you, Honda-Man