Honda-Man
Honda-Man, Honda Mechanic
Experience:  I have an Associates Degree in Automotive. 10 Years experience on all makes and models. 20 Years Honda only including factory training. Over 30 years total.
75670266

My Ridgeline suddenly had to power to start and wouldn't

Customer Question

My Ridgeline suddenly had to power to start and wouldn't even jump, but the battery appears to be charged. I cleaned the terminals, but still have what amounts to acting like a dead battery. Might be a fuse or something, but cannot figure out what I can do about it. I need my truck.
Category: Honda
Expert:  Honda-Man replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to JustAnswer.

Are the headlights bright? Is it all of the electrical that's lacking power or just the starter?

Thanks, Honda-Man

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am getting just enough power to have a couple of dim lights on the dash but no headlights. Somehow power is not getting to truck, but volt meter shows a fully charged battery.
Expert:  Honda-Man replied 1 year ago.

You may have a bad ground cable. When you connected the jumper cables to your Ridgeline was the ground clamp(black) on the battery or engine?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
battery
Expert:  Honda-Man replied 1 year ago.

OK, try jumping it again but put the ground cable on the engine. Find an unpainted bracket near the starter, transmission or on the engine. This will bypass the negative cable on the vehicle. Let me know what happens please.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will go try.
Expert:  Honda-Man replied 1 year ago.

OK Let the charge vehicle run for 5-10 min too before you try.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am letting it charge but the lights now work. Maybe battery is dead, but all volt meters and eye show fully charged.
Expert:  Honda-Man replied 1 year ago.

Fully charged is 12.6 volts for most batteries. Sometimes when they go bad it will show a good voltage but drop very low when trying to start it. The "eye" is installed in only one cell the battery has 6 cells total. You probably have one bad cell or just a dead battery. Make sure it starts after you jump it.

Please take a moment to rate my service so I can get credit for my time, the question remains open for follow up even after doing so, all you need to do is return to this question if need be.

Thank you, Honda-Man