Honda-Man
Honda-Man, Honda Mechanic
Experience:  I have an Associates Degree in Automotive. 10 Years experience on all makes and models. 20 Years Honda only including factory training. Over 30 years total.
75670266

My pilot started making a noise and when I would turn it

Customer Question

My pilot started making a noise and when I would turn it off. It had a smell to it. Then my console went out, radio and 10 mins later my car turned off. I got a jump to move it, it turned on right away.
Category: Honda
Expert:  Honda-Man replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to JustAnswer.

The problem you describe sounds like your alternator has failed. The smell might have been from the alternator belt. It's a fairly common problem with the Pilot and Odyssey van. I sugest having the alternator tested and the belt inspected. If you have any other questions feel free to ask!

Please take a moment to rate my service so I can get credit for my time, the question remains open for follow up even after doing so, all you need to do is return to this question if need be.

Thank you, Honda-Man

Expert:  Honda-Man replied 1 year ago.

When the alternator fails(usually without a warning light) power is slowly lost to the electrical system so the battery goes dead. In most cases it will start back up with a jump and be OK for a short time until the alternator fails again. Having the alternator tested at a local parts store only works if the alternator is failing during the test. This makes it hard to get a solid diagnosis.

If you have any other questions feel free to ask!

Thanks and please remember to rate or accept my advice and answer.

Honda-Man aka Cliff