Honda-Man
Honda-Man, Honda Mechanic
Experience:  I have an Associates Degree in Automotive. 10 Years experience on all makes and models. 20 Years Honda only including factory training. Over 30 years total.
75670266

My daughter has a 1992 honda accord. When she drives it it

Customer Question

my daughter has a 1992 honda accord . When she drives it it wont shift but if we disconnect the battery it will shift again for a while and then it starts back running bad .
Category: Honda
Expert:  Honda-Man replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to JustAnswer. Sorry for the delay.

Do you have a transmission shifting problem or a rough running engine related problem? Automatic or manual transmission?

Thanks for the information, Honda-Man

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Neither . Just wanted to know why it shifts again once we disconnect the battery .
Expert:  Honda-Man replied 1 year ago.

OK, so that would be a shifting problem. Does it seem to start off like it's in too high of a gear? Like there is no power until you disconnect the battery?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sometimes it only has 1st gear or 2nd gear and sometimes it doesn't go in reverse. Most of the time its in 3rd gear. Could it be the transmission control box?
Expert:  Honda-Man replied 1 year ago.

Yes it is probably a bad transmission control module(TCM). That's why I asked the questions that I did. I have seen multiple TCM failure in the 90-93 Accords. Unfortunately the TCM will need to be replaced. It's just a simple parts replacement no special procedure required. Click HERE for online TCM prices. The new one from Honda is $501.17

Please take a moment to rate my service so I can get credit for my time, the question remains open for follow up even after doing so, all you need to do is return to this question if need be.

Thank you, Honda-Man