MASTER TECH
MASTER TECH, Honda Service Technician
Experience:  28 years of Honda training and a master Honda tech
10834442

I have an Acura TL 2008. I unplugged the battery one day and

Customer Question

I have an Acura TL 2008. I unplugged the battery one day and when I replugged it the navi system would no longer accept my 4-digit code. I know I have the right code because I've used it before successfully. When I looked further into the navi system's diagnostics (by pressing Menu + Map + Cancel for 10 seconds) and went into the Unit Check option and there's now a dash where the serial number should be located. What can I do to fix my navigation system?
Category: Honda
Expert:  MASTER TECH replied 1 year ago.

Hello welcome to just answer I am master tech

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi how are you? Have you ever seen this problem before?

lets try a master reset on the car. this does happen from time to time. first remove the key from the ignition.

I want you to disconnect the battery cables, then place something over the battery like a piece of card board and then make sure the battery post are not exposed.then use a wire or something to make the 2 cable ends connect.what this does is clears the internal capacitors in the system and then allows a fresh reboot.

then put the key back in the ignition and turn the key on and leave the end's connected together for 10 minutes and then after the elapsed time reconnect positive battery cable and then the negative .but make sure to remove the key before you reconnect the battery

yes I personally have seen this several times.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
you're saying to cover the battery posts so they're not exposed and to link the negative and positive battery cable ends together? What kind of wire should I use? Would touching them together directly be a bad idea?

yes cover the post.

no shorting these ends will delete the charge in the memory and allow the system to reboot like new

im at work so I will try to reply in a timely manner ok

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
not a problem... trying it now (sorry I'm at work too :-) )
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok... done. I haven't turned the car back on yet. Waiting for your next instructions.

REMOVE THE KEY AND HOOK UP THE POSITIVE CABLE FIRST THEN THE NEGATIVE AND START THE CAR. THEN ENTER YOUR CODES.

THE SYSTEM WILL BOOT UP AND LOAD THE NAVI IN MAY TAKE A FEW MINUTES.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Still the same. The navi system says "incorrect PIN" and the Unit Check details still has a dash instead of the serial number. It's like the system forgot it's own serial number. I have the card that lists the right PIN (the one I've been entering) and the serial number for the navigation system.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is there anything else to try?

OK GIVE ME THE SERIAL #LET ME DOUBLE CHECK THE CODE

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Serial #: HJB20005319. The code I've been using is 1384 .

ok thats the same code I got.

ok lets do the reset again and let it set for 20 minutes.

I have had some stubborn ones before.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Trying it again . Just to let you know, I'm using jumper cables as the "wire" to connect the two battery cables. I'm using the same color clamps on each cable (used both red clamps the first time, and now trying it with the black clamps just in case it makes a difference).

THAT SHOULD BE FINE.

IF THIS DOES NOT WORK THEN THE NAVI UNIT IN THE TRUNK MIGHT HAVE EXPIRED AND WILL NEED TO BE SERVICED.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm guessing that going to cost a pretty penny, huh? :-(
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I've read on some threads that there is supposedly another code located under the navi unit in the trunk which may fix the issue (http://acurazine.com/forums/problems-fixes-70/navi-code-incorrect-pin-493485/). Have you heard anything like that? I'm not 100% sure how to dismantle the carpet and plastic over the unit so I didn't want to try until I had no choice.

YES IF YOU REMOVE THE NAVI UNIT IN THE TRUNK THEIR IS A STICKER BUT SINCE THIS READ FROM THE DISPLAY IT WILL READ THE INTERNAL SERIAL #

BUT AT THIS POINT ANYTHINGS WORTH A SHOT.

COST WISE TO HAVE IT SERVICED RUNS AROUND 250 +

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it didn't work... the system loads as usual (no extra time) and asks for a PIN but then rejects it again. Also, I wanted to make sure this wouldn't make a difference: when I tried what you asked me, after reconnecting the battery (positive first and negative second) I would turn the car all the way on to test the navigation system. Was I supposed to only turn the power on but not the engine?I looked for the sticker on the navi system holding rack mentioned in the thread but couldn't find it. I attached pictures of the stickers I found in the area in case you see something I don't.

OK THEN THE UNIT LOCKED IT SELF OUT.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If I call customer support do you think they might be able to help me? I'm trying to find the number now but can't for some reason

NO THEY WILL TELL YOU TO GO TO THE DEALER TO DIAGNOSE IT.