Kevin
Kevin, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  Diagnostic technician
84635724

I just rebuilt a 1999 Honda CRV 2.0 ltr engine non turbo.

Customer Question

Hello
I just rebuilt a 1999 Honda CRV 2.0 ltr engine non turbo. The engine has a little over 1000 miles on it now and runs well. The only problem is the oil level keeps going down over time. There is no smoke out the tailpipe and I can't find any leaks. I'm wondering if I accidentally installed the 2nd compression ring upside down in a cylinder even though I was really careful during assembly? If I installed the 2nd compression ring upside down, would there be noticeable smoke from the tail pipe? Maybe I just need more time to let the rings seat properly?
Category: Honda
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

Hi I'm Kevin if there was a ring issue you would have smoke under load .how much oil have you used in the 1000 miles?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I believe it's around a quart every thousand miles. I'll have to check the tailpipe for smoke under load but I've never seem any smoke behind me when driving.
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

When you say rebuilt is this the full engine of top half?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Full engine, top and lower.
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

Ok when engine is rebuild it will have a running in period where oil consumption is slightly higher .if it isn't leaking there will be some smoke at some point in drive cycle .its easier if you get someone to follow car whilst it's driving to see smoke I would give it another 1000 miles and see if it improves is not like you say it could be a bad ring this would show up as smoking under load

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok we followed the car while pulling a hill and it does smoke while under load. Not a large amount of smoke but some. Should I tear it back down and check the rings for proper installation or give it another 1000 miles?
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

Give it the miles first you have nothing to loose it may wear itself in if not the rings are where I would be looking