Fixitman
Fixitman, Technician /Advisor
Experience:  ASE Master Certified, AA Auto/Diesel Technology,
1627031

Just bought a 2003 Honda Accord Lx. I've been locked out

Customer Question

Just bought a 2003 Honda Accord Lx. I've been locked out twice when I've shut the door with the car running or off with key in accessory position, all doors locked. Had to call a Locksmith twice! Is this normal?
Category: Honda
Expert:  Fixitman replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is***** you tell me if the car is only equipped with the factory security system?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I believe so.
Expert:  Fixitman replied 1 year ago.

Thank you. This is a standard factory setting. The car is programmed to lock the doors after a period of time while the vehicle is running.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The doors lock immediately when the door closed. I guess this model year doesn't have programmable locks?
Expert:  Fixitman replied 1 year ago.

You are correct. Unfortunately there is not any sort of procedure that you can do to change this on your vehicle.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I still think something is wrong with the system. When i get into car and lose door and start engine, the doors don't lock. It's only when the engine is running or key is in on position, if door is opened and then closed, all doors lock. So I couldn't take it through a car wash for ex.
Expert:  Fixitman replied 1 year ago.

Once the vehicle is running it will automatically lock the vehicle as it is doing as it thinks that the door was unlocked for something but then will relock as a safety feature.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, but it will also lock with eng. off and key in access. Position.
Expert:  Fixitman replied 1 year ago.

It should not do it in the accessory position. Only in the run position. If it is doing it in accessory then there may be an issue with the ignition switch or with the control module.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks. I'll call Honda
Expert:  Fixitman replied 1 year ago.

No problem. Let me know if you need anything else.