George H.
George H., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Tech 15+ years
13574682

2004 Honda Accord when breaking the hazard lights come on.

Customer Question

2004 Honda Accord when breaking the hazard lights come on. They go off when I take my foot of the break. This only happens when the head lights are on.
Category: Honda
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Have already checked the fuses and they are OK
Expert:  George H. replied 1 year ago.

Hello I will help you with your question,

Is it the turn signal indicators on the dash that you are seeing or do they flash?

Are the light bulbs original or have they been replaced?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Both turn singles come on when the break is pressed. The head lights have been replaced a few years ago and look fine.
Expert:  George H. replied 1 year ago.

OK, the rear lights have not been replaced and the turn indicators come on but do not flash when you step on the brakes, is that correct?

Is there any body damage?

If the bulbs are original then the problem is in the rear lamps, can you pull the bulbs and inspect them?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Rear lamps have been replaced and look fine too. It sounds like you are thinking that there is a light out someware that is causing this?
Expert:  George H. replied 1 year ago.

Were the rear lamps replaced with original style bulbs or aftermarket LED bulbs?

I am thinking that your brake lamps are backfeeding into the turn signal circuit. They share a ground in the back so I am asking if there is any body damage and if the bulbs are original style.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Bulbs were replaced with after market several year ago. The car was in a rear end collision years ago. Car was fine for years then this started without a new incident
Expert:  George H. replied 1 year ago.

OK, then first place to check is the G701 ground below the access to the left bulbs. See if it is corroded or loose. You will see a cluster of wires bolted to the body inside the lining.

This is a 4 door?