Fixitman
Fixitman, Technician /Advisor
Experience:  ASE Master Certified, AA Auto/Diesel Technology,
1627031

Two weeks ago check engine light came on with code p1457.

Customer Question

Two weeks ago check engine light came on with code p1457. Took a shot in the dark and replaced vent shut valve. Drove 180 miles, light came back on. This time p0705, p0706, p1457. I went ahead and replaced the neutral safety switch for p0705 and p0706. I made sure the switch was in the same position when I put the new one on. I drove about 100 miles and check engine light came on. P0706 and p1457. I'm not too concerned about the 1457 (EVAP leak) but am about the transmission. Why would p0706 come back on?
Category: Honda
Expert:  Fixitman replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is Bobby. Thank you for the question. Before we begin can you tell me if the vehicle is running fine even with the light on?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no noticeable issues with how the car is running.
Expert:  Fixitman replied 1 year ago.

Can you clarify if the transmission codes were p0706 or p1706?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
First time it was p0705 and p0706. I replaced the neutral safety switch and then only p0706 came back on.
Expert:  Fixitman replied 1 year ago.

Thanks. Unless you got a defective part, you probably have a circuit issue. You may have some corrosion in the wiring causing high resistance. Did you have a voltage meter to run some tests?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Corrosion in the wiring that the switch connects to, not in the wiring of the actual switch? Could it also be the 10 pin connecter that the switch plugs in to? What would I have to do, replace the circuit that the switch connects to? The car is currently running fine, what would eventually start going wrong?
Expert:  Fixitman replied 1 year ago.

If the car is running fine then the problem has to be minute such as a poor signal from resistance in the wiring. I am also assuming it shows the right gear when the shifter is moved. If it is running fine I do not see it causing any future issues.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
when I move the shifter, the lights on the dash move to the right gear. What symptoms will I start to see if it did start to become a serious problem?
Expert:  Fixitman replied 1 year ago.

You would typically see those indicators not show the right position or it could start to affect the starting of the car.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks. And as far as the p1457 code. Do you suggest I just need to take it in and have them use a smoke machine?
Expert:  Fixitman replied 1 year ago.

Yes. Most of the time there is a leak on the top of the tank but the smoke test is the best way to verify this.