Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.
3195632

I have a 2003 Honda CRV with 160k miles

Customer Question

I have a 2003 Honda CRV with 160k miles
Category: Honda
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
About 6 months ago, I ran my crv completely out of gas. I filled it up and added a fuel additive, but over the past few months it randomly (while driving) shudders and acts like it's not getting any gas. If I let up on the gas and hit the gas again, it helps -- but sometimes it will jerk around 15-20 seconds with no ability to accelerate. What do I do?
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.
HI,
When it does this, does the check engine light blink on and off, or is it on all the time?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the check engine light is always on because we have a faulty gas cap. when it does the shuddering thing, it does not appear to be electrical in nature. I can almost mimic what it does by bouncing on the accelerator.
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.
HI,
One thing to keep in mind with your check engine light and not repairing the issue causing it to come on, if you neglect it and another fault sets, you never know until potential damage is done because you just assume it is on for the previous issue that was never repaired. In case of a fault code for engine vvt system or transmission, this can be a very, very costly mistake.
It is possible when you ran out of fuel, that the fuel pump as weakened. Especially if you cranked it a couple of times with no fuel in it. The fuel is what cools and lubricates your fuel pump, and every time you run it out of fuel, you have the potential for weakening it or even complete failure if it overheats too much.
It is likely that the pump needs to be replaced, but to confirm this, the fuel pressure should be tested. If pressure is below 48psi, replace the pump.
I would also have the computer scanned for stored fault codes to make sure there are no other issues since you really dont know if a new fault has been detected and stored. It may save you a headache down the road.
Please remember to rate service using the rating page so that I may receive credit. Thanks
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.
I noticed we have not yet resolved your concern you asked about. I would sure appreciate it if you would reply so I can offer my skills and knowledge and repair guide access to help as best I can.
~Do you still need more help?
~Confused by my info request or answer?
~Need more time?
~Confused on how the site works?
~Need more detail or a different explanation?
If the answer is YES to any of these just press reply and lets work on this concern some more.
If you have new questions now or in the future please do not hesitate to ask them. If you would like me to assist you. Just bookmark this page so you can access my profile easy and post a new question from the question box on my profile page. Please remember to rate service using the rating page so that I may receive credit. Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do have a follow up question. Is the fuel filter on my 2003 honda crv a serviceable part? Online forums do not provide a clear answer. And, if so, how big of a repair is this?
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.

HI,

The fuel filter is in the fuel pump assembly and is serviceable. You have to remove the fuel pump to do so. To remove the fuel pump, you fold the rear seats forward and pull carpet back, which will reveal an access panel. Remove it to get to the pump. There is a special tool needed to remove the pump, but you can rent it from Autozone or Advanced Auto Parts. I have uploaded the directions with diagrams for you you - not as hard as it sounds

Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.
~Do you still need more help?
~Confused by my info request or answer?
~Need more time?
~Confused on how the site works?
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.
If you have any other questions on this, feel free to ask for more help by clicking the REPLY TO EXPERT button, otherwise please click the OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE to pay for services rendered per your customer agreement as this is a PAYSITE and experts are not paid for their time, services, or knowledge until you do so. Thank you.