Honda-Man
Honda-Man, Honda Mechanic
Experience:  I have an Associates Degree in Automotive. 10 Years experience on all makes and models. 20 Years Honda only including factory training. Over 30 years total.
75670266

My 2002 Honda Accord Ex, is giving off a gh pitched metal on

Customer Question

My 2002 Honda Accord Ex, is giving off a high pitched metal on metal sound from the rear passenger side. The sound is intermittent and can be silenced by depressing the brakes to a certain point. What does this sound like?
Category: Honda
Expert:  Honda-Man replied 1 year ago.

WElcome to JustAnswer.

The noise you describe is caused by the brake pad wear indicator. The brake pads have a metal tab that will rub on the brake rotor surface when the pads need to be replaced. It's a standard feature on all Honda disc brakes. You Tube video of noise. The fix is replacing the rear brake pads.

Please take a moment to rate my service so I can get credit for my time, the question remains open for follow up even after doing so, all you need to do is return to this question if need be.

Thank you, Honda-Man

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Will this wear a groove into the rotor causing a need to be "turned"?
Expert:  Honda-Man replied 1 year ago.

No the indicator tab is like a spring. It rubs on the rotor but won't damage it. If you wait too long the rotor will become damaged if the pad material gets too thin or wears out completely. Don't worry it's just an annoying noise meant to warn you.

Thanks, Honda-Man