Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.
3195632

I have a 99 Honda civic, It has a motor swap from a jdm

Customer Question

I have a 99 Honda civic, It has a motor swap from a jdm integra gsr. (b18c) it has a obd 2 to obd1 jumper harness for the vtec ecu to work and the computer is chipp'd (which is why they used a obd 1 computer) but when i plugg'd my scan tool into the obd port it came on (meaning it has power at the port) but it will not communicate with it at all , I bought this car as a fix er upper and it has a cel on and i jumped the 2 wire connector and it gave me a iac code, but i wanted the obd port to work and communicate
Category: Honda
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.
HI,
I am sorry that you have not been helped yet. I just came online and saw your question.
First, pull the DLC connector down and get me the wiring colors and pins they go to on the connector, and second, let me know the brand and model of your scan tool.
We need to make sure the wiring is correct even though there is power to it, but I also want to make sure your scan tool can even read obd1 computers for codes.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There is 2 black wires going to pins 4and 5, a blue/yellow wire going to pin 7, red/white to pin 9 and blue to pin 11, the scanner is a snapon solus
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.
HI,
Ok, I will pull up the wiring schematic to check this, but I forgot to ask, which ecm is in it, the obd2 or the obd1?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is a obd1 ecu in a obd2 car... There is a jumper harness that goes from obd2 to obd1 at the computer
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.
HI,
Ok, wiring looks correct.
Does your solus read obd1? I know some dont, depending upon the software package you opt for.
If it doesnt, that is the issue. Even though you have an obd2 DLC, and have the jumper harness, the ecm still only puts out codes, live data, etc in obd1 format. There is no changing that inside the ecm.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ya it reads obd1, im wondering if the doc pins are correct for the computer being ond1 and the car originally being obd2, may even not be aboe to use the port at all? Im i work at a repair shot so i have a real good knowledge of cars im just not ase certified, id like to know ur thoughts on my concerns about it
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.
HI,
The problem for me is I cannot see the jumper harness and how it was wired up. I will opt out to see if another expert knows more on these conversions