Derek Werner
Derek Werner, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Technician, L1 Advanced level specialist
61695331

I need to know what the four wires do inside the harness on

Customer Question

I need to know what the four wires do inside the green harness on a OEM alternator for a 2001 Honda accord. I have a 1)black and yellow wire 2)red and white wire 3)blue and white wire 4)green and white wire. I want to eliminate the ELD as I'm a car audio enthusiast and need the alternator to output max at all times 14 volts (if possible)
Category: Honda
Expert:  SuperDave replied 1 year ago.

Click HERE for a wiring diagram.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I see a general wire diagram for the entire electrical system, I just need to know what the for wires do on the green harness that connects to the alternator. Is it possible to eliminate some of the wires from a 4 wire setup to a 1 or 2 wire configuration without changing out the OEM alternator and installing a one wire alternators type application?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Derek Werner replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome!

The other expert opted out, i will be happy to help you with your concern.

At the 4 wire connector at the back of the alternator.

Pin 1, black and yellow wire. This is the ignition on signal. Should be 12v with key in the on or run position.

Pin 2, White and Green wire. Alternator control signal (ALTC) This is the control circuit from the ECM. When the ELD senses the battery needs to be charged the ECM controls the alternator charging voltage on this wire.

Pin 3, White and blue wire. Charging system indicator circuit. When the voltage regulator grounds this wire, the charge indicator turns on in the dash.

Pin 4, White and Red wire. Is a field return to the ECM for idle up only. Example, if the Alternator demand is high, this puts more load on the engine. the ecm will adjust the engine idle to keep it running smoothly.

All you need to do to make the alternator perform like a conventional alternator is cut or remove the white and green wire Pin 2.

If you have any more questions please let me know.

Thanks

William.

Have i answered all of your questions? I only strive for excellent service, helping customers is my number one priority.

Thank you for being a great customer.

William