Derek Werner
Derek Werner, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Technician, L1 Advanced level specialist
61695331

I have a 2003 element and my battery is being drained dead

Customer Question

I have a 2003 element and my battery is being drained dead if left for a day or two, battery is new, starter is new and draw test looks fine... What do I look at next???
Category: Honda
Expert:  Derek Werner replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome!

My name is ***** ***** am a ASE master technician. I will be asking you a series of questions to give you the best possible answer that i can. I only strive for excellent service, after rated i will follow up with any other questions for free.

What is the charging voltage at? Normal range is 13.5 to 14.5.

You performed a draw test, what was the draw at?? normal spec is below .025 amps.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I had to charge the battery prior to doing draw test and was at 13 when started. The draw numbers would start at 4.30 for a second (while connection was made) - truck reacted like it does when we reconnect the battery. Then it jumped to .38 then to .02 and stayed there

charging voltage was at 13volts? this is low, check it with the loads on, high beams, blower fan, and defroster.

Should not be below 13.5. I would recommend getting the alternator tested.

A draw test should be performed without disconnecting power from the vehicle.

Start the engine, lock and close all doors. install a jumper between the neg bat post, and bat cable. This will allow the connection to not be broken when installing the multi meter leads. then installed your multi meter leads and remove the jumper wire. You do not want to remove power from the vehicle after shutting down the car and closing the doors. Also activate the alarm when doing the test.

By disconnecting power you reset all of the modules and there could be a module that is not going to sleep causing a battery draw.

Also i have seen on this engine the A/C clutch relay will stick and cause a high amp draw. Try removing the relay or replacing it.

after an hour of letting the vehicle sit with the key off and doors all locked, draw should be below .025amps.