George H.
George H., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Tech 15+ years
13574682

I would like Geroge H to answer this question, and am

Customer Question

I would like Geroge H to answer this question, and am willing to wait for him, so please don't jump in!! :) Thanks!!
I wanted to pick your brains about getting an air compressor.
The one I had in mind was http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200375221_200375221, as I thought the Craftsman units were not well made.
However, you seem to prefer I get a Made in USA used version. Could you give me details and/or post me some links? As a kid growing up in India, tools with Made in USA meant the world to me ( my dad is a WWII vet, and had many such tools), so even now, at yard sales, I pick up tool if it says Made in USA on it!
Your comments...
Category: Honda
Expert:  George H. replied 1 year ago.

Hello again!

I agree most of the craftsman "oiless" compressors are marginal at best. They use a leather ring on the piston to seal and it does wear. With that said the IR is marginally better but I do hear tales of them failing in a couple of years with little use.

I need to know a couple of things, does it have to be roll around and does it have to be 115 volt?

Can you tell me your zipcode and I will check the used ads in your area? Maybe you can get a deal like I have at my home shop.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks, George.

My zip is 01581.

Roll around might be of help when I do my flooring project at home, but I suppose I can run a longer length hose as well. I figured a vertical unit would have a smaller footprint on the garage floor, and a better chance of a buy-in from the wife :)

FWIW, I did see this link as well

http://www.searsoutlet.com/d/product_details.jsp?pid=23714&mode=buyUsedOnly&sid=IDx20110411x000008&ci_src=17588969&ci_sku=U99123714&gclid=Cj0KEQjwsb-vBRCLj7TvqpGx_MoBEiQALgFGntX9RxL77rSAOLq-UX2pkVr1SEjfZyY8vFheC2L-5U0aAnvU8P8HAQ

Expert:  George H. replied 1 year ago.

Hoses are cheap ($10) for pvc so if you can leave it in one place it would be better.

Got a Lowes in the area? You would be better off with this unit

Better parts and certainly better reviews and it is less money! Works on 115 , It needs a couple of modifications to make it work well. The drain on the bottom is useless so you would have to remove that, put in a 1/4" elbow with 6 inch nipple and a 1/4" ball valve and nipple to attach a hose to drain it.

The oil drain extension would be the other modification

Let me look around your area for a used unit, maybe there is one waiting for you.

Expert:  George H. replied 1 year ago.

I see several in your area that would be an OK buy, if you can work them down on price it would be a better deal.

How much air do you need this to produce? What tools do you need to run and other jobs like blowing out a sprinkler system do you need it to do?