Honda-Man
Honda-Man, Honda Mechanic
Experience:  I have an Associates Degree in Automotive. 10 Years experience on all makes and models. 20 Years Honda only including factory training. Over 30 years total.
75670266

My malfunction indicator light came on as I was driving with

Customer Question

My malfunction indicator light came on as I was driving with cruise control attempting to maintain my speed going up a hill. The TCS light also came on and the acceleration was jerky. After shutting the engine off the TCS light did not come back on. I drove slowly home and checked the OBD codes and got P0131, P0302, P1740 and P1399.
Category: Honda
Expert:  Honda-Man replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to JustAnswer.

DTC P1399 Random Cylinder Misfire. This just means that #2 cylinder was randomly misfiring and not constant.

DTC P0302-'99-00, '02-04 Models: No. 2 Cylinder Misfire Detected. This means #2 cylinder has a misfire problem. Plug, coil, injector, etc.

DTC P0131-'99-00, '02-04 Models: Primary HO2S (Sensor 1) Circuit Low Voltage. This means the primary oxygen sensor is probably defective. Fuel pressure normally needs to be checked but since there was only one cylinder misfiring it won't be necessary.

DTC P1740: Problem in 4th Clutch Transmission Fluid Pressure Switch Circuit. This is a common problem related to the failure of the transmission 4th gear pressure switch. Replacing the switch takes care of the code 99% of the time.

The TCS light comes on most of the time when there is a misfire or the trans pressure switch code. It should not come back on after the pressure switch and sensor are replaced.

To find the misfire it needs to be actually acting up. Most of the time it's a bad ignition coil. There is a individual coil for each spark plug.

If you have any other questions feel free to ask!

Thank you, Honda-Man