HondaPlatinum
HondaPlatinum, A Technician
Experience:  13 year honda platinum level
3827149

1998 Honda accord. Ignition replaced. Ran couple of months

Customer Question

1998 Honda accord. Ignition replaced. Ran for a couple of months with starter issues off and on. Car sat for several months. We have replaced the fuel pump and battery. Car is turning over but will not start. We had it start briefly a couple of weeks ago but would not stay running. Now will not start at all. Believe to be immobilizer issue. checked fuses and seem to be ok. Choke arm not moving when pressing gas pedal so no fuel pumping through unless manually done. Any suggestions?
Category: Honda
Expert:  HondaPlatinum replied 1 year ago.

Has the ignition switch been checked?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It was replaced about a month or 2 before started having trouble starting again.

Is the engine light on? If the ignition switch is ok then timing can be off or the distributor is bad were these checked?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well the engine light comes on when we try to start it as it is supposed to. Cannot get the car started to check to see if engine light stays on or not.

Check timing distributor as well as the main relay next if timing is good

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This is my mothers car. Firestone has replaced the starter, ignition, and fuel pump in the last year. She has had it parked for a few months because she couldn't get it to start.We just put in the new battery today and still will not start. She did get a new key when they put in the new ignition. They did not tell her anything about the immobilizer system and having to keep the keys separate. We were wondering if her trying the wrong key had disabled the system and how could we fix it?

If they did not program the new key to the car that's the issue and the key will need to be programmed to the vehicle to fix this issue.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
They did program the key to the car when they first replaced the ignition. She drove it for a month or two she said before it started acting up again and then one day it just wouldn't start at all. My question is if she was mixing the keys up and swapping back and forth between them could that have caused the problem? Can we bypass the immobilizer to see if it is the problem and if so, how?

Yes it could and there is absolutely no way to bypass the immobilizer system. You need to check it did not jump time and the main relay did not fail.

Please rate excellent service so I can get credit for my help thanks. Bonuses greatly appreciated.