Honda-Man
Honda-Man, Honda Mechanic
Experience:  I have an Associates Degree in Automotive. 10 Years experience on all makes and models. 20 Years Honda only including factory training. Over 30 years total.
75670266

My 2006 Honda Accord V6 MT will not start. I drove the car

Customer Question

My 2006 Honda Accord V6 MT will not start. I drove the car earlier in the day without any problems. A couple hours later, I went to start the car and it would not start. The remote door locks worked, the interior lights worked, and the dash and indicator lights all came on as they would during a normal pre-start. But, the moment I pressed the clutch in and turned the key to start, I heard a faint click and the dash and all electrical went dead. The door locks, lights, remote unlock no longer functioned. I waited a couple hours, and the come seemed to have power again---doors unlocked, interior lights worked, and the dash lights and start-up indicators all were back on---but again when I tried to start the car, the same thing occurred. I tried to jump start the car, but there was no response.
What are the possible causes and repair options?
Category: Honda
Expert:  Honda-Man replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to JustAnswer.

When you tried to jump it were the cables both on the battery of your Accord? Or was the ground clamp on a engine ground? It sounds like a battery cable or cable terminal end problem.

Thanks, Honda-Man

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The ground clamp was on an engine ground.
Expert:  Honda-Man replied 1 year ago.

OK, thanks that eliminates the ground terminal end and cable. The terminal may still be in need of tightening or cleaning but it isn't the cause of your problem. Your problem is most definitely a connection issue. Enough power can pass for the interior lights etc but not enough for the starter. I would start by removing and cleaning the battery cables. Make sure the battery posts are shiny clean as well as the contact surface of the battery cable terminals. Install the cables and tighten making sure they are not loose enough to twist or turn on the post. Just a warning if the radio doesn't already say CODE it will when you unhook the battery. I can't give out radio codes. Might first try twisting the cable terminals to see if they are loose or if it will start after giving them a twist?

If this helps please rate my advice and answer. If not just reply and I will continue to help.

Thanks, Honda-Man