Chris (aka-Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

I can jump my ac on my 03 Honda civic from the engine fuse

Customer Question

I can jump my ac on my 03 Honda civic from the engine fuse block but not from the dual pressure switch. I just did a Freon/compressor check with my gauges and it looks good. The air was blowing really cold and was cycling. The clutch will not engage when I turn the ac on from inside the car.
Category: Honda
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just an added note. both fans come on and off so they are working as far as I can see
Expert:  Chris (aka-Moose) replied 1 year ago.

What liter engine, trim level, and do you have auto or manual HVAC?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
2003 Honda civic LX 4 door sedan 1.7 liter with automatic transmission

I still need to know if you have auto or manual HVAC?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Being that i have 2 control knobs. One for hot or cold and one for fan speed it must be manual.

Thanks. Use the link below. Since bypassing the low/high pressure switch does not turn on the compressor, that still leaves the thermal switch, multiplex, ECM, and clutch relay. Have you checked those. Is the ECM getting a AC request?

You want a excellent 5 star answer & I would like to be rated the same for providing it. Consider I don't know your skill level & I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle. It may take a few back and forth replies. Try your best to respond with good detail so I can do the same. I normally log in at 3pm and work late. A rating is required. Your rating me, what I type. I am not an employee of this website, nor have control over the fees or the time it took to get a response. If you rate negative or not at all you still paid, but I get nothing. I want you pleased with me and my efforts, so let me know if your experience here has come up short.

Thanks Chris

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I switched out the clutch relay and the clutch didn't engage. I ran an ecm test and no flashing codes. I have to unbolt the fan to get to the thermal protector connector to test it. I will try that Monday. How and what do i test on the multiplex?

The multiplex is tested with a scan tool.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What kind of scan tool? Send link too so i can buy one if necessary.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How do i test the thermal protector? Multimeter voltage and or continuity? Also can i hotwire the connector?

At my dealer we use the Honda supplied HDS.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/V3-015Newest-Version-Honda-HDS-HIM-Diagnostic-Tool-with-Double-Board-1992-2012-/151273346128?hash=item2338981450&item=151273346128&vxp=mtr

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will test the thermal protector Monday and i will get back with you after 3pm with the results. I will also test the multiplex if i can get a scan tool.

Super

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I didn't get the chance to test the thermal protector I'll try to this evening

Okay

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I finally got to the thermal protector plug but i don't see how to test it...the connection going to the compressor has 3 red wires and the plug that connects to the harness has a blue/white red and blue/red in the middle. what two wires do I jump and on which connector to jump the clutch?

The thermal switch wires are the outside pins 3 and 1, it should be a closed circuit.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is it possible i disconnected the wrong plug? The connector I disconnected seems to run right to the compressor. But the plug has no pins on the thermal protector side. It's a female plug. I'll look again.

There should be one connector at the compressor with 3 wires. one is power to the compressor coil and the other 2 are for the switch.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi was busy with work but i looked at the schematics and the wires are red for the thermal protector. I get no continuity at the thermal protector which seems like the only way to test it. I'll check it again to make sure but if there's no continuity the the switch is open. Make sense?

I am going to turn you over to another tech, I am not going to be able to keep up with the flow of the post with these delays. Best of luck

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I believe I'm talking over your head...I used to be an aircraft mechanic and have a degree in aeronautics, and finance. All you have been telling me is to test the ac with hi-tech equipment. My eight year old daughter can do that. And as far as the delays go I have been out of town helping my elderly mother.