Chris (aka-Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

My 2009 element has intermitint vibration about 40-50 mph.

Customer Question

my 2009 element has intermitint vibration about 40-50 mph. it only happens with no positive or negative driveline pressure, and goes away with acceleration or decelleration. I found that the splines on the trans side of the passenger cv axle don't fit snug, and you can move the cv spline end on the stub shaft from the trans. I installed a new cv axle, and it is also loose. no improvement.I think the stub shaft wasn't machined right, and the loose spline causes the vibration. All of the other splined shafts in the car are tight with no sideways movement. What is your opinion?
Category: Honda
Expert:  Chris (aka-Moose) replied 1 year ago.

Can you get this to occur continuous or is it just brief like under 5 seconds. If it is brief then it may be a slipping torque converter clutch.

You want a excellent 5 star answer & I would like to be rated the same for providing it. Consider I don't know your skill level & I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle. It may take a few back and forth replies. Try your best to respond with good detail so I can do the same. I normally log in at 3pm and work late. A rating is required. Your rating me, what I type. I am not an employee of this website, nor have control over the fees or the time it took to get a response. If you rate negative or not at all you still paid, but I get nothing. I want you pleased with me and my efforts, so let me know if your experience here has come up short.

Thanks Chris

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The vibration will continue until either i accelerate or decelerate. The vibration will only happen when the car is rolling freely. I don't think there is any problem with the clutch's slipping. As I said before, the origional and the replacement cv axle
both have sideways movement on the splined shaft from the transmission. If the cv splines don't fit snug on the shaft, I think the cv splines would not be held at true center, causing vibration. In this case driveline pressure seems to make the cv run true,
and no driveline pressure allows the cv to go off true center causing my vibration. Am i wrong in thinking that the cv axle should fit snugly on the trans shaft? Do I need to replace the stub shaft? Should I mic the splines on my shaft and compare that to
a new shaft? Have you experianced this before? I've noticed other element and crv owners that are asking about similar vibrations, on some of the on line forums. Does Honda have a issue here?

Thanks for the update. It should not be the splines on the axle shaft where they lock into the differential in the transaxle. There is not enough movement there to wear them out and if its were sloppy it would be leaking at the output shaft seal. It will more than likely be a CV joint that is worn and flopping under certain loads causing this.