Wayne Auto
Wayne Auto, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  Associate of Applied Science with a Major in Automotive Technology
72941068

2002 Honda Civic, got about 150,000 miles, car died on the

Customer Question

2002 Honda Civic, got about 150,000 miles, car died on the highway and the battery was dead, replaced battery, ran fine for a couple of days, then it starts randomly shutting off
while driving, mostly when i have the A/C on, so i got an obd2 reader to get the code and I got P0340 and P0341 which indicate camshaft position sensor. There are too many what if's online, i've had the car since it had about 110,000, so i've never replaced the timing belt yet.
Category: Honda
Expert:  Wayne Auto replied 1 year ago.

It is true that a jumped timing belt can cause cam sensor codes, but if the engine can still idle for a few minutes then chances are that the timing belt isn't your problem, typically with the engine in your Honda the engine will start and then almost immediately stall when the timing belt jumps.

In roughly 70% of the case where these codes present on this engine it is the Camshaft Position Sensor (also known as a TDC Sensor) itself that is faulty and needs to be replaced. There are some electrical tests that you can do if you have access to a volt/ohm meter and a test light, if you'd like I can walk you through some of these tests, but it might be difficult as your issue is intermittent and you would have to test everything right as the engine stalls and won't restart.

Honestly due to the difficulty of testing an intermittent issue like if it were my car I would be inclined to install a new camshaft position sensor as a starting point as the sensor is under $40 at most parts stores and isn't too difficult to install, it's only held in by one bolt once you have the upper timing cover removed and while changing it you have a great opportunity to inspect the condition of the timing belt.

I hope I've been able to answer your question, if you have any other questions or if you would like more information on your current question please feel free to ask.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
well definitely what i wanted to hear, i will get to work on it asap, i'll keep you posted. thanks.
Expert:  Wayne Auto replied 1 year ago.

Ok I'll wait to hear back from you, I'm here to help with any questions you have.