George H.
George H., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Tech 15+ years
13574682

2003 Honda Civic Hybrid - 193,000 mi I have my Civic at the

Customer Question

2003 Honda Civic Hybrid - 193,000 mi I have my Civic at the shop right now checking the alignment. Had the alignment done because after 1 year my 60K mile tires were worn bald on the inside tread on both front tires. They did the alignment with the bad
front tires, then I put on new ones. The alignment now drifts to the right... so they are checking. The front right strut seems to make a noise when you change direction (forward to reverse, etc.. or braking). When you put your hand on the top of the strut
you can feel something make a clicking in the strut cylinder or the mount. I'm not sure if the mount would be bad or the strut. The strut is a monroe with a lifetime warranty and was put on in April 2013. How often to mounts break or do they have bearings
in them or would it more likely be the strut itself that needs replaced again?
Category: Honda
Expert:  George H. replied 1 year ago.

Hello I will help you with your question,

The struts have a bearing at the top and it may be worn. First step would be to rotate the tires side to side and see if the drift changes or is gone but do you know if the bearing was replaced with the struts or if just the struts were replaced?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I believe just the struts were replaced. Tires are brand new (less than 60 miles on them).
Expert:  George H. replied 1 year ago.

OK, unfortunately the strut has to be removed and disassembled to replace the upper bearing. If the spring is not twisting out of position and is seated in the end cups but you are feeling a clicking or binding then it needs to come apart and have the bearing replaced. It should have been done at the time they were out.

Regardless of the age of the tires, unless you can see damage in the way the belts were laid up on the tire you check the air pressure to be certain it is equal then swap them as the first step of the drift diagnosis. Not often will a strut or a bearing cause a drift but it happens at least 40% of the time that you do have to swap the tires after the initial test drive.

Please let me know how i can help you with your question

Thank you