Dan, Technician
Experience:  Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Database
17871496

2003 Honda Civic Hybrid - 193,000 mi I have a rougher idle

Customer Question

2003 Honda Civic Hybrid - 193,000 mi I have a rougher idle with the A/C on even after changing the spark plugs (proper plugs) and cleaning the EGR valve. The idle got better, but not great. Can you tell me what else can be done to smooth out the idle on
this civic?
Category: Honda
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is***** the check engine light on? Does it seem to run fine other then the rough idle or does it have a misfire? Thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Check engine light is on, I need to pull the codes but last time I checked it was due to the IMA. The IMA light is on, but it's a long time being on. The IMA battery charges well, just probably going bad or is unbalanced (AZ Heat), dealer said it was bad, I'm going to replace it soon with a new 8 amp version. Would the IMA affect the idle? I wouldn't think so.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The car runs well when AC is off. I can't "feel" a misfire but I need to pull the codes like I said. I'll do that today.
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Ok, let me know what they are. It sounds like possibly just a dirty throttle body or idle air control valve. Let me know what code says, thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will let you know. Should I try to clean the throttle body with some carb cleaner after removing the air filter housing or is it more involved that this?It has a K&N filter that is pretty clean on it as well.
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
All you need to do is remove air filter housing, spray cleaner onto a rag, then wipe out throttle bore and behind throttle plate the best you can. Let me know how it goes, I would put more effort on checking codes though. Thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Codes come back with IMA things mostly...P1600
P1420
P1449Note that I have had the car into the dealer before for the class action lawsuit that caused them to reprogram the IMA and O2 items. I know that the IMA needs replaced but not sure if any of those codes would make the idle rough.
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

None of these would make it run rough. Id' start by cleaning out throttle body and clean idle air control valve. If problem still exists then replace the idle air control valve. Let me know how it goes or if you have more questions. Thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Any quick reference to where the idle air control valve is located?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will try the IAC and then look for Vacuum leak like this guy found... I have the same condition, although not as bad... almost died a few times this summer but not all the time: http://my.justanswer.com/question/guest/0745db74a17045fc994bfd8f8dad852c
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

-

https://www.dropbox.com/s/mt5vo0lravh55jn/rreed.pdf?dl=0

-

It is located n the side of throttle body, here is a picture. Let me know how it goes, thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the schema. Do you recommend removing it or cleaning it in some other way without removing? Can it take carb cleaner or will it damage the IAC at all?
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

You will want to remove to clean it good and carb cleaner is fine.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok. I'll remove and clean, but I'll need to pickup a new gasket looks like from the drawings.
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Gasket might come out ok but replacing is always a good idea. Let me know how it goes, thanks.