Wayne Auto
Wayne Auto, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  Associate of Applied Science with a Major in Automotive Technology
72941068

2006 Honda CR-V EX. The dash lights remained on but the

Customer Question

2006 Honda CR-V EX. The dash lights remained on but the following gauges went to zero; Gas, Temperature and tachometer. The speedometer stayed at a fixed 20 miles per hour even though I was on the freeway at night going slightly slower than the flow of traffic (faster then 20 mph). I finally pulled over to a gas station. I tried 4 times to start the car but it wouldn't start. Finally it did start but the gauges are still messed up as indicated above. This request is on behalf of my young daughter who drives to work at night alone. It was very scary for her. Please provide your best advice as we must get this problem quickly resolved. Thanks so much. John
Category: Honda
Expert:  Wayne Auto replied 1 year ago.

I've seen this issue many times and luckily it usually isn't the gauge cluster itself as those are rather expensive, usually it is a loose ground wire on the engine which is most common after a repair was done, a loose battery cable, or a bad alternator as varying or AC voltage can cause the car to do many odd things usually starting with the gauge cluster. Based on your starting issue I would start by checking the battery and all the main power cables and ground wires as a fault in one of these could easily cause a intermittent no-start in addition to your gauge cluster issue.

I hope I've been able to help you with your concern, if you have any other questions or if you would like more information on your current question please feel free to ask.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Greetings,
My daughter took her car into a Honda dealership in Minnesota for a check-up. They told her the problem is a modulator which will cost her $1,600. She is a student working part time and cannot afford this expensive fix. I asked her to get the written estimate from the dealership which hopefully describes the part and the part number. Hopefully I can provide you with that info later today. . Thanks, John
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello again,The Honda dealership (Inver Grove Honda) stated the part required is a Modulator Assembly VSA (Honda part # *****) at a cost for a new part at $1,855 plus $400 for installation. My daughter is a student and can't afford a new part. Can you tell us where she can buy a used part and whether the dealership's part recommendation is correct. Thanks, John
Expert:  Wayne Auto replied 1 year ago.

This is a very unusual way for a VSA modulator failure to present, the VSA modulator is what applies the brakes for you when your anti-lock brakes or stability control is activated, so a good way to confirm that this is the issue would be to drive the car with the ABS/VSA fuses removed and the Modulator Assembly unplugged, during this time the ABS and stability control will not work so it will be like driving an older or cheaper car without those systems where you pump the brake pedal in a skid. If the issue no longer presents then the Modulator Assembly may very well be at fault.

A used part can be purchased from different auto parts recyclers such as ones found on eBay, but they will not always arrive complete and are not always known to be in good operating condition, however for less than $200 it might be worth the risk as they often give you a short warranty period to find defects. eBay VSA Modulator