Honda-Man
Honda-Man, Honda Mechanic
Experience:  I have an Associates Degree in Automotive. 10 Years experience on all makes and models. 20 Years Honda only including factory training. Over 30 years total.
75670266

2008 Honda Accord 190hp 4 cylinder (~90K miles). Top end

Customer Question

2008 Honda Accord 190hp 4 cylinder (~90K miles). Top end rattle on start up, being told it may need a replacement variable valve timing control. If possible, let me know if this sounds valid and if so, can I replace it myself. Not a mechanic by trade but have worked on engines.
Thanks, Doug
Category: Honda
Expert:  Honda-Man replied 1 year ago.

Welcome Doug to JustAnswer.

The noise you describe is a fairly common problem. The fix is what you are being told an does require replacing the VTC actuator. At this time the service bulletin only applies to 2008 and 2009 Accords. The repair procedure is fairly complicated and even some Honda technicians have had problems doing the repair properly. It's easy to get the camshaft timing off causing driveability issues and check engine light codes. The timing chain tensioner needs to be removed then the exhaust camshaft with VTC actuator. I have included the service bulletin repair procedure so you can decide if you want to do it.

Thank you for giving me the opportunity to assist you. Your satisfaction and accepting my service is what I work for! If you can't rate in a positive way please let me know so I can continue to help. I will continue to help after the rating until you have the advice and answer you need!