Honda-Man
Honda-Man, Honda Mechanic
Experience:  I have an Associates Degree in Automotive. 10 Years experience on all makes and models. 20 Years Honda only including factory training. Over 30 years total.
75670266

I have a 2002 honda accord that we bought new, never had a

Customer Question

HELLO, I have a 2002 honda accord that we bought new, never had a problem until recently. car is fine when used daily ,took car to honda service and they kept car for five weeks without finding a problem. told me they found no draw anywhere. they replaced battery & removed all after market devices ( auto start,security sytem,running lights,etc) battery still goes dead after several days. they have no idea what to do next.
Category: Honda
Expert:  Honda-Man replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to JustAnswer.

i have a suggestion for your battery drain problem. There is a fairly common cause for unwanted battery discharge. There is a power relay in the under-hood fuse box that can intermittently stick on draining the battery. The relay is for the A/C compressor and it has power to the relay at all times. It's only meant to be powered up when the A/C is used but it can stick on draining the battery. The relay is only $18 so it would be worth a try. If you want the Honda part number and a online site to order one just let me know. I can also show you where it is located and how to replace it. This problem is common enough to have a Honda service article written about it. Most technicians won't replace any parts without first verifying the cause but I fell in your case this will be worth a try.

Thanks again! ~Honda-Man

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
THANK YOU FOR YOUR REPLY. HONDA DEALERSHIP KNOWS ABOUT AC RELAY & DID REPLACE IT EARLY ON BEFORE STRIPPING AFTER MARKET DEVICES. DEALERSHIP THOUGHT PROBLEM WAS SOLVED AFTER REMOVAL OF EVERYTHING SO THEY RETURNED THE CAR TO ME, SEVERAL DAYS LATER WITH NO USE OF THE CAR THE BATTERY WAS DEAD.HONDA SERVICE SAID CAR SHOWS NO DRAW.
Expert:  Honda-Man replied 1 year ago.

Darn, there really isn't any other easy suggestions. I have dealt with problems like this i the past many times. The only way for the dealer to find your problem is keep your car longer. At our dealership the technicians drove customers cars home(with permission). This gave us a good opportunity to test the vehicle in real world conditions. Eventually we fixed every one. The cause can be as simple as the trunk light staying on or as complicated as a control module stating powered up(awake) when it should go to sleep. The various control modules in the vehicle maintain full power for a short time after the ignition is tuned off. If they stay awake after this your battery will go dead. To find the problem one fuse at a time is removed until the draw stops or drops to a normal level.

Sorry I could not give you a exact answer.

Thanks again! ~Honda-Man