justinsbg
justinsbg, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE certified in Brakes, Electrical, HVAC, and Engine Performance. Currently a lead diagnostic Technician.
27674784

Ron Z. I have 2011 Honda pilot that is burning out spark

Customer Question

Hi Ron Z. I have 2011 Honda pilot that is burning out spark plugs like crazy. I just changed them out and it still spiting and spudering. the message says emmisions and VSA. I assume what ever is causing the plugs to burn out has trickled down and now I thought I'd change the O2 sensor. Any thoughts.
Category: Honda
Expert:  justinsbg replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I would be happy to help. Reminder, I have not been paid at this point and won't be until I receive a positive rating from you. At that point I will receive a portion of what you've already paid Just Answer.

Let's try to isolate the misfire to a specific cylinder. One by one, unplug each coil pack with the engine running. If there is a noticeable difference in the engine running (runs worse) this means that cylinder is functioning properly, and you plug that coil pack back up and move on to the next. If you unplug one and it doesn't run any worse this probably means you found the problem cylinder. Try swapping that coil pack with another cylinder to see if the misfire moves with the coil pack. If it does the coil pack is faulty and needs to be replaced. If it doesn't let me know and we can continue. There are other commonly known issues with misfires on this model Pilot, but I want to make sure you don't have a faulty coil pack first.

You can go ahead and rate me positively. Don't worry, there won't be additional charges for asking questions after you rate so if you need more information just ask me. Thanks.

Expert:  justinsbg replied 1 year ago.
Any news?