Honda-Man
Honda-Man, Honda Mechanic
Experience:  I have an Associates Degree in Automotive. 10 Years experience on all makes and models. 20 Years Honda only including factory training. Over 30 years total.
75670266

I just bought a 2000 Honda civic with 113,000 miles on it on

Customer Question

I just bought a 2000 Honda civic with 113,000 miles on it on tues. I drove a few miles around town and had no problems. then I took it to work on Fr. (aprox. 20 miles and on the way home at 1AM the break light kept going on and off I checked the emergency break and it was off. the car suddenly died and I could not get it restarted.The oil late and battery light kept coming on It sounded like it just wouldnt turn over. I waited awhile and it connected si I proceeded to go home ,the same senario happened. Luckily a police officer came over and again after waiting it turned on again . The kind officer followed me home at 2 oclock in the morning what lemon is causing this?
Category: Honda
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What recourse do I have with the person I bought it from? I already called him and he told me he refused to pay for the repair when I boughe it he told me it was a good car and I would have no troube getting it inspected. HA HA
Expert:  Honda-Man replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to JustAnswer. Sorry to hear about your misfortune. Too bad the person you bought it from is being a pain! Not too much you can do legally because in most states it's sold as is with no warranty for private sales.

Most likely the charging system is not doing it's job. If the charge rate is low or if it quits charging you can experience problems like you are. Usually the first signs are the indicator lights coming on. In some cases the charge light does not come on until the charging system quits all together. I have even seen the alternator fail without a warning light at all. In many cases after sitting for a while the battery will recover enough to start the car. The basic items should be checked first like the battery cables for corrosion or looseness. Check the negative battery cable where it connects to the engine? Next check the alternator belt to see if it's loose and possibly slipping. The next and probably last is to have the charging system tested. Most auto parts stores will test the alternator in the car for free. I have seen this issue in the past so my recommendations are solid.

Thank you for giving me the opportunity to assist you. Your satisfaction and accepting my service is what I work for! If you can't rate in a positive way please let me know so I can continue to help. I will continue to help after the rating until you have the advice and answer you need!

Thanks again! ~Honda-Man

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How much is a new alternator?
Expert:  Honda-Man replied 1 year ago.

At O'Reilly they are $102.99 installed it's approx $250ish? If you can give me the exact details like EX,LX,DX etc? I can give you a better idea.

Expert:  Honda-Man replied 1 year ago.
Did you have any other questions? If not please rate my service. The rating is how I get credit from the site.
Thank You!
Honda-Man