Honda-Man
Honda-Man, Honda Mechanic
Experience:  I have an Associates Degree in Automotive. 10 Years experience on all makes and models. 20 Years Honda only including factory training. Over 30 years total.
75670266

I have a 2008 Honda Fit with a manual clutch. I was

Customer Question

I have a 2008 Honda Fit with a manual clutch. I was rear-ended pretty badly 12 days ago, and now my clutch failed (can't put it into 1st or 2nd gear...) Could the collision have caused it, or was it just time for it to wear out...?
Category: Honda
Expert:  Honda-Man replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to JustAnswer.

Most likely it has nothing to do with the accident. Your Fit clutch is hydraulic with a fluid reservoir similar to the one for the brakes. If the fluid level for some reason is low like a leak it won't go into gear. Without fluid pressure the clutch won't disengage to shift gears while the engine is running. You should be able to go through the gears with the engine off. Will it go into gear OK with the engine off? Or does it feel like the shift lever is stuck?

Thanks, Honda-Man

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It WILL go into gear when it's off.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Could the accident have caused the fluid to leak out? I was pushed into the truck in front of me so there is front end damage as well.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Um... Do you continue to answer, since you asked me questions? Or am I supposed to pay AGAIN??!!
Expert:  Honda-Man replied 1 year ago.

Sorry for the delay, been a busy morning. No you do not need to pay again, I don't get paid unless you rate positive anyway. Yes there could be damage to the clutch hydraulic system if you were hit in the front too. That area is where the clutch slave cylinder is located.

Expert:  Honda-Man replied 1 year ago.

Here is a diagram and image with the slave cylinder and clutch reservoir location.

If you have any other questions feel free to ask! Sorry again for the delay.

Thank you, Honda-Man