justinsbg
justinsbg, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE certified in Brakes, Electrical, HVAC, and Engine Performance. Currently a lead diagnostic Technician.
27674784

I have a 1997 honda accord 4 cyl. it is hard to start. once

Customer Question

i have a 1997 honda accord 4 cyl. it is hard to start. once it starts I can turn it it off then it will restart fine. If sits 4-6 hours same hard start problem. replaced fuel pump relay and distributor. no help. took to shop and they said distributor problem. removed plugs and wet with fuel. removed fuel line and had pressure when in run position. Put plug in wire and grounded and had spark when tried to start. I think I will try new coil? Any ideas?
Category: Honda
Expert:  justinsbg replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I would be happy to help. Reminder, I have not been paid at this point and won't be until I receive a positive rating from you. At that point I will receive a portion of what you've already paid Just Answer.

I have this issue multiple times on the 1994-1997 Accord. I have a feeling I know what the problem is, but I'd like to ask a few questions to better help me understand the situation. Please answer the following questions in order as I list them:

1). When the car is hard to start do you notice anything weird with the check engine light such as not coming on, or staying on while cranking?

2). Try this, when you go to start the vehicle first thing after it has been sitting turn the ignition switch to the ON position. Listen for two clicks from the main fuel relay. Let me know if you hear one or both of the clicks.

If the check engine light comes on and stays on while cranking and/or you don't hear both clicks the problem is a faulty ECM. I have seen this issue multiple times as I work on only Honda/Acura vehicle 5 days a week. The ECM is repairable if you are handy with a solder iron and have access to electronic parts. If not, you can always buy a used ECM from a junkyard, or there are multiple listings on eBay if you search around. You can find ECM's at a very reasonable price online.

You can go ahead and rate me positively. Don't worry, there won't be additional charges for asking questions after you rate so if you need more information just ask me. Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The check eng. light only comes on when I first turn key with all other dash lights then goes out. I hear what I think is 2 clicks when I first turn on key. I have now replaced coil and no help.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do you know P/N for ECM for this make and eng. type?
Expert:  justinsbg replied 1 year ago.

Sorry for the delayed response. I've been out of town this weekend. The following part number is ***** a 1997 Accord 4cyl EX model with Automatic transmission. If your vehicle has different details let me know and I can get you the correct number: 3782-P0H-L54