Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.
3195632

My 2005 Honda Accord needs a new transmission. It has been

Customer Question

My 2005 Honda Accord needs a new transmission. It has been downshifting sometimes out of nowhere, after it's been driving awhile and is hot.
We don't have a lot of money and are afraid it's going to be expensive. We took it to a small shop to get the timing belt replaced and 2 motor mounts ($1500 total parts and labor), and found out it needs a new transmission... Ugh...
The shop that is going to do the timing belt and motor mounts has quoted us a price for the transmission as follows: $900 labor and $1300 for a used/rebuilt transmission with 6 months parts warranty; or $1600 for a used/rebuilt transmission with a 1 year parts and labor warranty.
Is this a good deal?
Brenda
Category: Honda
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.
HI,
Ok, labor time to replace the transmission is 9.4 hours, which is around $860-$1000 depending upon the shop's hourly labor rate, so the labor is inline
Used transmissions go for $1100 to $2200, depending upon mileage and warranty.
So they quote very much inline and reasonable.
I would recommend the 1yr warranty
Please remember to rate service using the rating page so that I may receive credit. Thanks
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.
I noticed we have not yet resolved your concern you asked about. I would sure appreciate it if you would reply so I can offer my skills and knowledge and repair guide access to help as best I can.
~Do you still need more help?
~Confused by my info request or answer?
~Need more time?
~Confused on how the site works?
~Need more detail or a different explanation?
If the answer is YES to any of these just press reply and lets work on this concern some more.
If you have new questions now or in the future please do not hesitate to ask them. If you would like me to assist you. Just bookmark this page so you can access my profile easy and post a new question from the question box on my profile page. Please remember to rate service using the rating page so that I may receive credit. Thanks
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.
~Do you still need more help?
~Confused by my info request or answer?
~Need more time?
~Confused on how the site works?
If you have new questions now or in the future please do not hesitate to ask them. If you would like me to assist you. Just bookmark this page so you can access my profile easy and post a new question from the question box on my profile page.