Honda-Man
Honda-Man, Honda Mechanic
Experience:  I have an Associates Degree in Automotive. 10 Years experience on all makes and models. 20 Years Honda only including factory training. Over 30 years total.
75670266

I have a 1993 Honda accord and it cranks but won't start. I

Customer Question

I have a 1993 Honda accord and it cranks but won't start. I have spark at the plugs and coil. However the spark will not light a spark plug tester. I also tested the ignitor and I think it may be bad but I am co fused on which lead needs to blink with a test light when you crank the engine. The negative will not blink when cranking. What suggestions do you have to get my vehicle started
Category: Honda
Expert:  Honda-Man replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to JustAnswer.

The negative wire should blink the test light if the igniter(ICM) is OK. The ignitor switches the coil primary winding negative off and on to produce dwell. Ignitor failure is by far the most common cause of no spark or weak spark. If the coil is inside the distributor it's second in line for failure. External coils seem to hold up much better and rarely fail. I have included the Honda ignitor test procedure for you if you would like to make sure.

Thank you for giving me the opportunity to assist you. Your satisfaction and accepting my service is what I work for! If you can't rate in a positive way please let me know so I can continue to help. I will continue to help after the rating until you have the advice and answer you need!

Thanks again! ~Honda-Man