shawn24_91
shawn24_91, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  I have an Associate degree in Automotive Technology and am currently a technician in Wisconsin
75885799

My 1999 Honda passport automatic transmission shifts

Customer Question

my 1999 Honda passport automatic transmission shifts hard.what is the problem.
Category: Honda
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I have noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.
In order to determine why the transmission is shifting hard the first thing you need to do is to have the computer system scanned and see if the computer is setting any fault codes which it usually will if there is a problem. If you can get this done and post back with the results we can work from there to determine the cause.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok i'll check my mechanic will check the codes .I tried with my son in laws code reader it didn't show a code .
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Sometime a code reader will not read transmission codes, see if you can get it scanned with a full scan tool and post back with the results. We can work from there.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
hello Ron i had the honda put on a code reader.no transmission codes came up.it did have a problem with the idle sensore.before i changed it .changed the sensor now i had to adjust the linkage all the way out .the machantic i used said that the idle sensor that was that fare out might cause the hard tranmission shift . i changed both sensors. now the motor woun't idle down.but the transmission seems to change gears better. but still changes hard .how do i get the motor to idle down.or do you have a answer how to fix the hard shift.
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.
If the engine is idling to fast that can affect the transmission as well. What was the code you where getting that caused you to change the sensor an what was the sensor you replaced?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the code showed high resestence on idol position . sensor what do you think is causing the transmission to shift hard .shifts to 2nd ok 3rd is a hard shift down shift to 2nd is hard shift .call me(###) ###-####
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

What is the actual code your getting?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
don't know the code. shifts hard going in 3rd in back out of 3rd .give me and answer to what can be the problem .if you tell me to get it code checked again .this is your last chance.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i ask before to call me
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

I can not give you an answer with out complete information so I will relist the question for you in hops some one has the east answer you want.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i want ironmike as my mechanic
Expert:  shawn24_91 replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I noticed your question was stuck to the bottom of our list and I hope I can help. I'm assuming this is an automatic transmission. If it is then the first thing I would do to help the hard shift is have the transmission fluid flushed and the filter changed(if this has a changeable filter). If the fluid is getting old, burnt, or if there is dirt in the fluid this can cause a hard shift.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
hello Shawn my transmission only shifts hard going into 3rd in then back to 2nd.i saw on a google search that a question to justanswer that had a hard shift to 3rd .that the problem was the range sensor .ironmike provided the answer .is this sensor called another name.i can't find this part in auto part site's.
Expert:  shawn24_91 replied 1 year ago.

When you say shifts hard do you mean the shifter moves hard or the vehicle kind of jumps when it shifts itself into 3rd? I may have miss understood what you meant. If the shifter moves hard than it could be the range sensor, which may just be part of the shifter assembly. It could also be a problem with the shift cable. You would have to disconnect the shift cable from the shifter and see if the shifter moves okay.

The range sensor is just used to tell the vehicle which position you have moved the shifter to. So, if the vehicle is lurching or jumping when it tries to shift itself into 3rd than the range sensor would not be the problem.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok - it is when the automatic transmission shift into 3rd .it's not the shifter.
Expert:  shawn24_91 replied 1 year ago.

Ok typically the range sensor will not cause this issue then. This issue is normally caused by wear on the clutches in the transmission or by dirty transmission fluid. I would start with getting the fluid flushed and see if that helps.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the transmission doesn't slip at all.it just shift hard with a jerk.
Expert:  shawn24_91 replied 1 year ago.

When the transmission attempts to shift it always watches the amount of time it takes for the proper gear to engage. As the clutches start to wear the transmission raises the fluid pressure to that clutch pack in-order to make the transmission shift in an acceptable amount of time. It is possible that maybe some dirt got into the 3rd gear clutch pack and caused it to slip slightly(you may not be able to feel the slip), this would cause the trans to ramp up the fluid pressure causing it to slam into gear which would be why you feel the rough shift. It's possible that flushing the fluid and clearing the transmission memory with a scan tool with fix the harsh shift. otherwise you are probably looking at a transmission rebuild.