MASTER TECH
MASTER TECH, Honda Service Technician
Experience:  28 years of Honda training and a master Honda tech
10834442

I have a 2013 Honda Accord with 17,700 miles. I live in AZ.

Customer Question

I have a 2013 Honda Accord with 17,700 miles. I live in AZ. Recently the display screens will go blank while I'm driving and then reinitialize just like when I start the car. It happened four times the other day. I took it in to Honda two weeks ago for the same problem and now it is back. Any ideas before I go back in to them? thanks
Category: Honda
Expert:  MASTER TECH replied 1 year ago.

Hello I am master tech and will be able to assist you.

your talking about the display for the radio and climate system correct

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm talking about the display that is recessed in the dashboard and shows radio stations, mpg and clock depending on what you choose. If memory serves it's possible the screen below it also goes down and the radio shuts off but I can't confirm that at this time. But the top screen definitely is shutting down then reinitializing on its own.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I had to leave the house and therefore my tardy response. Hope this does not mean you will not get back with me.

no worries on the response time

let me look to see if their any reported info on this..

have not seen any at my dealer to date.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is someone still there to answer my question. I have not received a reply as to the probable cause of the the above problem.Thanks

yes im here

im looking through my information on the Honda site to see if their is any service bulletins for this or not

ok as of today their is nothing honda is reporting. so this is most likely a failing display.

did the dealer actually run any diagnostics on it or when you took it in the unit was working as designed and that's all they did ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, went out and checked the work done to try and fix the problem. It says he completed service bulletin 14-018 which updates the the audio system software.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Did not see the problem again for a little over a week and like I said, two days ago the screen went blank four times while driving home.

ok then most likely the unit is failing and the software update did not correct the issue .

typically the software will not correct the electrical function on the display.

so they will need to open a case with Tech line and then proceed with a replacement .

but before Honda gives the clearance to replace the unit they will have to do some testing unless they say just replace it.

so at this point the car will have to return to the dealer and then let them continue with the process.

How ever make sure to take it in when the unit is acting up so it's confirmed cause tech line will want confirmation

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, I actually have an appointment for Tuesday morning. The bad news is trying to get it to fail while at the dealership. It has not failed since last Friday. I realize that makes it difficult to trouble shoot but it is failing there's no doubt about that. Could this be an over temp problem with this system?

yes im thinking that also a over heating issue in the display.

does the car sit in the garage or outside in the sun ?