HondaPlatinum
HondaPlatinum, A Technician
Experience:  13 year honda platinum level
3827149

I recently replaced the head gasket, water pump/timing belt,

Customer Question

I recently replaced the head gasket, water pump/timing belt, plugs and serpentine belt. The car ran fine that day, but the following day it refused to start. When it did start, it would surge as if it was running out of fuel and occasionally shut off altogether.
Category: Honda
Expert:  Honda Team Leader replied 1 year ago.
Hi there!
Thanks for using Just Answer.
What model Honda is this and also what engine size and year?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
2005 Civic EX with 1.7 liter 4-cyl
Check engine light on or codes of any kind stored?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The check engine light came on. AutoZone said it was a P0340 for cam position sensor. I dug in and replaced it. No change on starting....still hesitates. Although it may hesitate to start (like the battery is weak), it will generally run smooth most of the time. The "sputtering" at speed or from a stop is much less frequent.
That's exactly what I was going to say is your problem. It still may be. I'll assume you rechecked the timing? Also, when you did the timing belt, did you disconnect the crank position sensor?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
A friend of mine did the work and he said he disconnected the cam sensor when doing the work. Not sure about the crank sensor. Is there another way to check the timing without removing the cam cover? (Replacing the cam sensor wasn't difficult, just time consuming)
Checking the timing would have been easiest when replacing the cam sensor because you have to remove the upper timing cover already to do so. The fact that the engine still isn't running right may mean another code is stored in the PCM but has not illuminated the MIL. I inquire about the crank sensor because I've seen intermittent problems while running to do coolant being spilled in the sensor body when changing the water pump. This causes an electrolysis condition across the connector body and confuses the PCM as to what the position of the crankshaft really is. It's the next place I'd check. Then get back to me. Thanks!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm at work so I'll have to check tonight. Thanks though.