Honda-Man
Honda-Man, Honda Mechanic
Experience:  I have an Associates Degree in Automotive. 10 Years experience on all makes and models. 20 Years Honda only including factory training. Over 30 years total.
75670266

Accord: I had my mothers 2005 accord parked at my house for

Customer Question

I had my mothers 2005 accord parked at my house for a couple of weeks and have not driven it. Cranked it up and it started reving up faster and faster. message stating cruise main came on and an engine light. turned it off and recranked it and drove with foot off gas at 37 miles and hour and had to keep applying brake.
Category: Honda
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do not want to sign up for a continuous monthly service- I do want to find out what is wrong with my car- The car just keeps idling higher and higher.
Expert:  Honda-Man replied 1 year ago.
Welcome to JustAnswer. Sounds like something is keeping the throttle valve open. I have seen mouse bedding caught in the throttle valve several times. When cars sit long enough rodents can build a nest on the top of the air filter and chew through the filter paper element to make their bed. When you start the car the bedding gets sucked into the intake. I would remove the intake rubber hose and look inside for any debris. Open up the air filter housing and look for a nest. If that's all OK while the intake hose is off make sure the throttle valve is closed. If it is closed the idle air control motor is probably stuck from sitting. Knowing what code is stored in the control unit memory would also help find the cause of your problem. Thank you for giving me the opportunity to assist you. Your satisfaction and accepting my service is what I work for! If you can't rate in a positive way please let me know so I can continue to help. A positive rating is the only way the site will compensate me for helping you. You can still ask follow-up questions after the rating.Thanks again! ~Honda-Man