Fixitman
Fixitman, Technician /Advisor
Experience:  ASE Master Certified, AA Auto/Diesel Technology,
1627031

EX: 02 honda civic 1.7 auto trans has 225,000 miles. was over

Customer Question

02 honda civic 1.7 auto trans has 225,000 miles. was over heating and would lose power at least once a day. Replaced radiator it had a leak in it. Also replaced the timing belt and water pump. I was getting a p1362 and p1361 code, and replaced the camshaft sensor. No overheating has happened after these replacements. It's still losing power/hesitation for a short time with no codes then it runs fine. The new code is p0420 catalytic converter. With the high miles on it I'm going to replace the catalytic converter. Still trying to understand the loss of power at least once a day.
Category: Honda
Expert:  Fixitman replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is Bobby. Thank you for the question. From what you are explaining it does sound like a failing converter. This converter will start to fail and depending on heat will restrict the flow of exhaust at certain times and will cause this. It can also be a failing O2 sensor. If you have a scan tool that reads engine data you can check the sensors. A failing O2 sensor will also typically give you a 420 code. I hope this helps. Let me know if you need anything else.