Dan, Technician
Experience:  Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Database
17871496

Civic: My car died on the freeway today- it just slowed down

Customer Question

My car died on the freeway today- it just slowed down and felt like it was struggling-and got weak all of a sudden. I pulled over right away -turned it off and then on again-so it's not electrical. The check engine light came on- and I do have a slow oil leak-it was a very hot day-could that have something to do with it? Or what else could it be.? They're going tp check it out tomorrow but I thought I'd ask your opinion-Thanks!
Category: Honda
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is ***** ***** I'm here to help get your problem solved. Was vehicle able to restart after shutting off?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
Did it still seem to struggle or run ok?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm thinking it was still struggling-but I was on the freeway shoulder and couldn't really test it very well
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
Did check engine light flash at all?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No- it was just on
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
It sounds like your camshaft position sensor may have failed which is common to cause this symptom and around a $200 job at a shop. Worst case scenario your timing belt jumped which would be around a $500 job. Let me know if you have more questions or if there is anything else I can do to help. Thanks.