Honda-Man
Honda-Man, Honda Mechanic
Experience:  I have an Associates Degree in Automotive. 10 Years experience on all makes and models. 20 Years Honda only including factory training. Over 30 years total.
75670266

Crv: son lost key to my 98 honda crv. The ignition is not

Customer Question

son lost key to my 98 honda crv. The ignition is not original, so I cant use vin to get replacement. How do I remove harness to get to locksmith to make new key?
Category: Honda
Expert:  Honda-Man replied 1 year ago.
Welcome to JustAnswer. If the ignition key was not the original that came with your CR-V using the VIN to have one made will not work. The original key code will not match. Mobile locksmiths can come to you and make a new key they will need to program the key anyway. Your CR-V has an immobilizer system with a transponder chip built in the key grip. The chip needs to be programmed with a special tool so the engine will start. Taking the ignition switch to the locksmith won't work since the vehicle needs to be there too for the programing procedure. It's have a locksmith come to you or have it towed to a dealer or locksmith. Sorry for the bad news. Thank you for giving me the opportunity to assist you. Your satisfaction and accepting my service is what I work for! If you can't rate in a positive way please let me know so I can continue to help. A positive rating is the only way the site will compensate me for helping you. You can still ask follow-up questions after the rating.Thanks again! ~Honda-Man
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How do I unlock steering column for tow truck to load and unload without screwing it up?
Expert:  Honda-Man replied 1 year ago.
The only way is to use a floor jack to roll it up close to the tow truck or remove the ignition switch. Tow drivers are used to this problem because they sometimes reposes vehicles without keys. Please kindly rate my service in a positive way. If you still need help follow-ups are free. Thank you, Honda-Man