Fixitman
Fixitman, Technician /Advisor
Experience:  ASE Master Certified, AA Auto/Diesel Technology,
1627031

Civic: honda civic 2002 1.7 etec 5 speed 188000mi idles well,good

Customer Question

honda civic 2002 1.7 etec 5 speed 188000mi idles well,good acceleration fuel pressure 45 #. when driving at steady speed 30-40, engine will stop like the key was turned off. pump the gas and it will stutter, restart (left in gear)run ruff,clear out and run fine for 2-5 miles sometimes 10 miles then repeat. no codes
Category: Honda
Expert:  Fixitman replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** you tell me if the engine turns completely off and then you need to restart it?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes it does
Expert:  Fixitman replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. It sounds like you may have an ignition switch or relay that is causing the circuit to break. It can also be a crank sensor but that is not as common. This will be hard to diagnose since the problem happens at higher speeds. Did you plan on fixing this yourself?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
YES I plan to fix it myself
Expert:  Fixitman replied 1 year ago.
Then I would start with changing the main relay. This cannot really be tested since the problem is intermittent. Do you know where this is located?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no i do not
Expert:  Fixitman replied 1 year ago.
The two main PGMFI relays are located under the passenger side of the dash behind the glove box. I can send over a picture later when I am back in front of my PC.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok i know about those they seem to be working properly.i MAY have found the problem i found a leak in vacuum hose going into the evap canister purge valve. the car stopped 4 x yesterday none today.keep your fingers crossed.thanks for your help.
Expert:  Fixitman replied 1 year ago.
Hopefully that is it. I can't see how a small vacuum leak would cause this but you never know. Please keep me posted. Thanks.