Honda-Man
Honda-Man, Honda Mechanic
Experience:  I have an Associates Degree in Automotive. 10 Years experience on all makes and models. 20 Years Honda only including factory training. Over 30 years total.
75670266

Prelude: I have a 1997 honda prelude SH, 5 speed and it

Customer Question

Hi I have a 1997 honda prelude SH, 5 speed and it is not starting. It's not getting fuel to the engine. I have already changed the main relay. It also keeps blowing the fuel pump fuse. This happened out of nowhere. Sometimes it would not start but it would start after a couple cranks. Now it's not at all. It just turns over.
Category: Honda
Expert:  Honda-Man replied 1 year ago.
Welcome to JustAnswer. Have you replaced the fuel pump? If the fuel pump is bad it can blow the fuse and cause the lack of fuel. Fuel pumps can fail intermittently or cause your original extended crank problem. The other possibility is the black/yellow fuel pump wire is grounded somewhere. This will blow the fuse just like a bad fuel pump. Unplug the fuel pump then crank it to see if the fuse still blows? Probably just have a bad fuel pump. Thank you for giving me the opportunity to assist you. Your satisfaction and accepting my service is what I work for! If you can't rate in a positive way please let me know so I can continue to help. A positive rating is the only way the site will compensate me for helping you. You can still ask follow-up questions after the rating.Thanks again! ~Honda-Man
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yea I was thinking it was the fuel pump...praying it was something else lol.. Is there a way to varify the pump is bad without removing it?
Expert:  Honda-Man replied 1 year ago.
The easiest way to verify if the pump is bad is to unplug it and crank the engine. If the fuse does not blow the pump is bad. It's fairly common for bad fuel pumps t blow the fuse. I bet it's a bad pump. Thanks, ***** ***** the rating. Honda-Man
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Now it doesn't blow the fuse everything I crank it. But I have blown 2 so far since it's stopped working. Tomorrow when I get up I'll unplug the pump and try to see if the fuse blows. Hopefully it's just the pump
Expert:  Honda-Man replied 1 year ago.
Sounds good let me know what you find.
I will still help after you rate, follow-ups are included.
Honda-Man
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well I just replaced the pump and still no start. What steps should I take now?
Expert:  Honda-Man replied 1 year ago.
Sorry for the delay, family reunion. Does the fuse still blow? Is there fuel pressure? Have you checked for spark?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok so I took out the new pump and put my old one..and she kicked right up. So now I'm just puzzled... I checked for a short from the pump to the relay no short. So I'm lost for words lol
Expert:  Honda-Man replied 1 year ago.
If it will start with the old pump but not the new one the new one must be bad? It does happen sometimes. I would plug in the new one but don't install it. Turn on the ignition and see if it runs.